Monday, August 8, 2011

One More Continent


I am armed with skis, ice axes, cameras, and plenty of memory cards. And I'm on a British Airways flight, on my way to South Africa in search of snow. We think we'll find some near Lesotho and the Drakensberg mountains. If we do, Africa will be my sixth continent where I have skied.

Its week two of my vacation, and having spent three days last week in Moominland, I think I'm entitled to finding some action.

But all is not clear. Once again it is hard to find out from home what the conditions really are like there. We do know that there is a small ski area in Lesotho that is operational at this time. There is another one nearby in South Africa which has been closed, but the conditions might make it possible to climb and ski down on our own. Or not. And I was just told that the 4-wheel drive car that I was going to rent is not available, so we have no proper wheels for the trip. Lets see what we can arrange once we get there.

Photo credits (c) 2011 by Jari Arkko

No comments:

Post a Comment