Monday, March 16, 2015

Meri-Teijo



The end is near. Of the winter. My friend Jarne suggested that I visit Meri-Teijo, but the ski area closed just a couple of days before I arrived, due to the spring-like weather we've had for some weeks. This did not stop me from visiting, however.

What I found very interesting. One of my favourite ski areas in southern Finland is Peuramaa, and Meri-Teijo reminds me a lot of that. Both are small, but they have many different runs, all with very different slope profiles. Meri-Teijo has altogether twelve interesting runs, amazing given that it is one of the most southern ski areas in Finland, and right next to the sea.

Some of the slopes go straight down, some that slide through forests in a leisurely manner, some that go around cliffs. And both are surrounded by golf courses. A very nice area, with plenty of good skiing and opportunities to explore the terrain. The vertical difference is 80 meters, which is good for a ski area near the Finnish coast. The longest ski run is 640 meters.

I hiked a couple of times up and down in the sunny weather. There was still plenty of snow to ski. Recommended for good exercise, and I should return to this place next year. In the meanwhile, the ski area (or "Action Park" as they call it) sports also downhill cars, mountain-biking, hiking in the national park next door, paintball, ...

And of course, golfing. It seemed like the green golf course and the golfers were about to take over the white winter.








Photos and videos (c) 2015 by Jari Arkko. Tämä blogi löytyy myös suomeksi.

No comments:

Post a Comment